How to Reset the In-Check DIAL
- Hold the instrument vertically with the mouthpiece uppermost, so that the rounded end of the meter can be tapped against the other hand or a horizontal surface, such as a table.
- A gentle tap will dislodge the magnetic resetting weight, which will return the red cursor to a start position. When this has happened, the meter must turn through 180 degrees to return the magnetic weight to its resting position.
How to use the In-Check DIAL
Important: As with any inhalation device, it is important to check for loose foreign objects before the device is used. The transparent material used in the construction of the In-Check DIAL enables the user to make a visual check before inhalation.
- Reset the In-Check DIAL.
- Align the scale with the desired inhaler device – an audible "click" should be heard.
- Attach a clean mouthpiece (small mouthpieces can be used with the supplied adaptor).
- Ask the patient to exhale slowly and deeply.
- Seal lips around the mouthpiece. According to the inhaler chosen, instruct the patient to inhale in the manner recommended by the manufacturer.
- Record the inspiratory flow from the position of the red cursor against the scale. Reset, and repeat two more times.
- Compare values achieved with target flows for that device. To operate an inhaler device optimally, the patient should be able to achieve a flow rate within the Optimal Range. If other inhalers are used, then repeat steps 1 to 7.